Sunday, December 5, 2010

A disappointment

I had high hopes for this weekend.  I thought I would sell a lot of jewelry at my hometown's senior center craft sale today, earning extra money for the holidays and for my wedding next year.  That didn't happen.  I only sold one pair of earrings.  My mom sold two of her handmade ornaments.  Most of the other vendors did not sell much, as well.

Several factors influenced the poor number of sales today:
1. Two other craft sales were held on Saturday: the Carousel of Crafts at the middle school, and First Lutheran Church's annual holiday sale.  I think the people in my hometown were crafted out, so to speak.
2. Most people who came to the sale already finished most of their holiday shopping and didn't need anything else.
3. The sale drew a lot of elderly people, as it was held at the senior center.  Most older folks are trying to get rid of their belongings, not acquire more.  The other vendors and I received a lot of browsers, and hardly any buyers.
4. My jewelry is well-made, but I think it caters to a younger crowd.  Two or three women commented that they wished I had clip-on earrings.  A few more said they did not like to wear necklaces that were fastened by clasps, as their dexterity as decreased with age.

Fortunately, this was a learning experience for me.  I know what to add to my repertoire next year, if I decide to do the sale again.  I may do the Carousel of Crafts, as it's a busier sale and I would only have to pay $45 to rent a table.  But, I'm definitely planning to open an account on Etsy to sell my jewelry.  I think that will be the best way to get my jewelry out there into the hands (and on the necks and ears!) of willing buyers.

Despite how disappointing the sale was today, I did have a good weekend with my mom.  Dad was up north deer hunting, so Mom and I had quality girl time.  We spent most of our time getting our merch ready for the sale, but we also enjoyed meals together, browsing the Carousel of Crafts and the First Lutheran sale, church, and running errands.

I'll end this post with a few pictures.





Mom, who shared the table with me, had 15 of her "Hot Flash" ornaments for sale.  We enjoyed watching the expressions on people's faces when they "got" the meaning of the ornament.

1 comment:

  1. Etsy is a fairly good way to sell, but a lot of people are using Artfire. Etsy's fees and relist fees are quite high, though when they first started out and before the economy crashed I was making quite a bit of extra cash selling there. Looks like pretty stuff, sorry you didn't do better.

    ReplyDelete