Friday, April 8, 2011

Five for Friday

1. I had an awesome birthday on Tuesday.  I received lots of well-wishes from co-workers, family and friends, and future hubs made a delicious dinner for me.  I'm very thankful for my loved ones, and that Mark is such a great cook.

2. Continuing with my great birthday theme, my brother Kevin and his girlfriend took me out to eat on Wednesday night at the Olive Garden.  They also gave me a $100 giftcard to Amazon.com!  It burned a hole in my pocket: I already bought a Garmin Forerunner 305, as I'm looking for something to help me with interval training this summer.  I only had to pay about $29 out of my own pocket for it... score!

Questions for my readers: Do you have a Garmin (or another "fancy" watch)?  What do you like about it?  How has it helped your training?

3. Future hubs and I registered for the Rock 'N' Roll Savannah Half-Marathon a few days ago.  I'm very excited to return to Savannah and relive my memories of the city with Mark.  I'm also hoping to pace Mark to a new half-marathon PR, unless he decides to go after it at a different race this year.  I'm thinking of dressing as a Girl Scout for the race, as Savannah was the birthplace of Girl Scouts founder Juliette Gordon Low.  I just need to find an old uniform.  Kurt, do you have any ideas?

Question: What has been your favorite destination race? (Mine is definitely the 2009 Nike Women's Half-Marathon)

4. This Sunday marks my second Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon.  If you recall, I had a bike mishap (though no fault of my own) during my first indoor tri event in February.  I signed up for Sunday's event late, and already I'm concerned about it.  The lady I corresponded with via e-mail wanted me to register via site, meaning that I'd have to pay for it.  After I explained what happened at my first tri event, she said that she'd get me signed up for Sunday ("no worries"), but she didn't ask for any of my information.  I would think they'd have my info on record from the February event, but this still is disconcerting to me.  Oh well... I'll just go to Chanhassen on Sunday and see what happens.  I hope it goes well, but as in life, there are no guarantees.

5. I'm feeling stressed out lately.  I feel like my workload at my job has exponentially increased, plus with planning a wedding and looking for a house/townhouse, I feel overwhelmed.  Next week will be worse, as our receptionist will be on vacation and I have to do her job along with mine.  Tomorrow will be a low-key day so I can relax and recharge my batteries.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

13 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, sounds like a good one! I got a garmin for Christmas a couple of years ago and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! And thanks for the "Stylish Blogger" tag. I've got a post in the works for tomorrow, so on the next one I'll pass it along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!!! I had the Garmin 305 and now I have just bought the 210; I like it because it is smaller and finds the satellites very soon.
    Congrats to be a "Stylish blogger"!
    Good luck on the half and the tri, I am sure you will do well.
    My favorite destination race: Scotland (I ran there twice) and the ancient part of Rome full of monuments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a great Birthday!

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Garmin 205 (same as 305 but without the HR monitor). I don't know what I would do without it now, always having access to my time/distance/pace and it's very helpful with ontervals, especially since I usually don't do them at a track so I don't have an easily measured distance without it.

    Good luck at the indoor tri! Here's hoping for no malfunctions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll bet Savannah will be an awesome race locale! I do have a Garmin, but guess what? I never use it. I'm just too old school and found I didn't like it. I'm in the minority, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought myself the Garmin Forerunner 305 last year and really like it! I like that it calculates the mileage for me (so I don't have to map out a route beforehand -- I can improvise!), and the intervals help improve my stamina and avoid burnout. I love that it tells me calories burned (great motivator!) and my average mile pace (a great way to break new personal records!). The HR monitor has also helped me learn that I can push myself and at what HR I start to feel discomfort. The possibilities are endless, and I know I haven't even used all of the tools in it yet. I know you'll enjoy it!

    Glad to hear that you had a great birthday!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!

    I have the Garmin 305 too with multisport package. I LOVE it. It is also very cool because it works with any ANT+ sensor, so I didn't need a new computer when I got my trek that uses a special sensor that fits inside the chain stay AND I could leave my old sensor on my other bike to use there too.

    You should totally try to come up with a "sash" for a GS uniform, and maybe you could make your own badges/patches to put on it for other races you have done. It might be a lot of work, but I bet it would be really cute.
    You could at least use the sash as something to pin your race number onto if you found one that already has a bunch of patches sewn on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday. I hope things get less stressful. Just take it one day at a time. I just sent part of your post to a good friend who is also a Girl Scout Geek. Sorry! She will love your thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I just say the girl scout costume - genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think Melissa's sash idea is BEYOND STELLAR!!!!!!!!

    Don't have a Garmin, but my training partner just got on for Christmas - it's FAB!!!! LOVE it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck tomorrow!! Hang in there next week. Will be praying for a smooth week for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the Garmin 405, just bought last week. I sorta wish I had bought the 305, because it is simpler to use! I am adjusting to it though. Slowly.
    Happy Birthday Late and Stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I registered for Savannah this weekend too! I love my no frills Garmin 110. I'd say that Las Vegas has been my fav destination race so far.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love my garmin because it tracks my distance as well as pace. It's fun to look back on past workouts and compare mileage and splits. I see that I have improved my speed over time. My favorite destination race is also the nike marathon in sf!! :) WOoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete